"What the hell is this ?!": the reaction of the British military to the collision of their frigate with a submarine of the Russian Navy is shown

Late last year, a Russian submarine collided with the British frigate Northumberland in the Atlantic Ocean 200 km north of Scotland. The boat touched the sonar launched by the ship, which was in tow.

What the hell is that ?! What have we crashed into?

- Reacted the Royal Navy military after the collision, as shown in the show "Warship: Life at Sea" British TV company.

It was planned to use the sonar to search for a Russian submarine, but the submarine "found" it faster. As a result of the collision, the cable of the device, studded with hydrophones, wound around the hull of the submarine ship. According to British tabloid The Sun, Northumberland was no longer able to continue its mission and was forced to go to the dock for repairs - the impact caused significant damage to the locator.

According to some military personnel, what happened off the Scottish coast was no coincidence. This does not exclude minor damage to the Russian submarine.

Meanwhile, at the end of December, sources reported on the British frigate HMS Westminster, cruising in the North Sea near the Shetland Islands. The frigate is designed to keep an eye on Russian ships returning to base in Severomorsk on the eve of Orthodox Christmas.
Dear reader, to leave comments on the publication, you must sign in.
  1. kig Offline kig
    kig 7 January 2022 17: 18
    So the collision was not with a ship, but with a towed device? You just have to run a loud headline. Ashamed!
    1. The comment was deleted.
  2. shinobi Offline shinobi
    shinobi (Yuri) 8 January 2022 03: 06
    It's funny. There are no such accidents in neutral waters. Britam was thickly hinted, but how else to regard a sonar ram, we will do whatever we want and you will not even understand where the fat northern fox came from.
    1. frezer-azs Offline frezer-azs
      frezer-azs (Alexey Melnikov) 10 January 2022 11: 25
      There are, and very often. The game of cat and mouse under water has repeatedly led to collisions and even tragedies. See my comment.
      1. shinobi Offline shinobi
        shinobi (Yuri) 10 January 2022 11: 30
        Not in this particular case. IMHO hi
  3. avg Offline avg
    avg (Alexander) 8 January 2022 11: 03
    And where does it say that it was a Russian boat?
  4. shiva Offline shiva
    shiva (Ivan) 8 January 2022 22: 09
    That is, this hefty long sonar, which was supposed to detect the presence of a submarine almost a couple of tens of miles, she simply dragged along her hull, bending all its antennas to Yelka's mother and almost tearing it off completely? Did the Brits forget to turn it on? Or didn't you look at the locator readings at all? Well, it’s cooler only after that to emerge nearby and shoot a cigarette ...
    1. frezer-azs Offline frezer-azs
      frezer-azs (Alexey Melnikov) 10 January 2022 11: 31
      Hydroacoustics is a funny thing. Sometimes right under your nose (more precisely, under the keel) you may not be able to hear it. We entered the area of ​​hydroacoustic shadow, for example. For a reason, the British also found themselves above our submarine with an unwound antenna - it is obvious that they were tracking it. And apparently quite successfully, since they became so close. There is nothing to be proud of: this is a failure for the submarine commander, he was discovered. In a combat situation, for a boat, this is 100% destruction.
  5. EMMM Offline EMMM
    EMMM 10 January 2022 00: 36
    Or maybe the Norwegians wound the cable around the screw?
  6. frezer-azs Offline frezer-azs
    frezer-azs (Alexey Melnikov) 10 January 2022 11: 23
    A similar incident occurred in 1983 in the Sargasso Sea with the nuclear submarine K-324. It is not known who was following whom, but the latest towed antenna of the US Navy frigate McCloy was wound around the propeller of a Soviet submarine of Project 671RTM. And it wound up so well: the antenna broke away from the frigate, and the submarine lost its speed and was forced to surface. The Americans did not just give up, the antenna was worth half a liter of greenery and was top secret. Further, for 10 days, Soviet submariners tried to first understand what they had wound, then to release the screw, while not giving the antenna to the foe, and the Americans, accordingly, to return their antenna, even if for this they had to board. The situation was so tense that the submarine was even prepared for an explosion if captured. Finally, a Soviet rescue ship approached and the boat was towed to Cuba, where the American secret cable was removed from it and sent by plane to Moscow for study.